Earth Day Celebration
Come join us on April 20!Apr 20 , 2013
Come join us for our 19th annual Earth Day Celebration on the Greenway! Festivities will kick off with an opening ceremony at 10am at the Dairy Barn. Other events and activities will include Border Collie demonstrations, cane pole fishing, canoeing & kayaking, face painting, Geocaching, wagon rides and farm animals.
Many community groups and agencies will be a part of the festivities, doing hands-on activities and sharing information. These groups will include the annual Fort Mill School District Earth Day Art Contest gallery (located in the Dairy Barn), bee keepers, hands-on demonstration where you can milk a cow, Boy Scout and Girl Scout troops, local conservancy and recycling efforts and historic interpretation at the Graham and Coltharp cabins. This year, our children in the Preschool on the Greenway and the afterschool program F.L.Y.E.R’s will also be leading crafts and activities for our visitors. We will also have a special Geocaching activity run in partnership with the York County Geocaching Society. Geocaching is a fun scavenger hunt using GPS units. Stop by their booth at Earth Day to get started!
Activities will be easily accessed at the Dairy Barn entrance of the Greenway. Parking is available at this entrance. Feel free to bring a blanket or camp chairs for a picnic. Food vendors will be on hand selling lunch items and snacks throughout the day.
Schedule of Events
- 8:30 AM: Hike from Dairy Barn on 5k route……Meet at Windmill.
- 9:45 AM: Sugar Creek Elementary School Chorus Presentation on Main Stage behind Dairy Barn
- 10:00 AM: Opening Ceremony & Horse Show
- 10:30 AM: History Walk……Meet at Faires-Coltharp Cabin
- 10:45 AM: Border Collie Demonstration…..Pasture on way to Swinging Bridge
- 11:00 AM: Family Nature Walk……Meet at Graham Cabin
- 11:45 AM: Border Collie Demonstration…..Pasture on way to Swinging Bridge
- 1:00 PM: Family Nature Walk……Meet at Graham Cabin
- 1:15 PM: Border Collie Demonstration…..Pasture on way to Swinging Bridge
- 1:30 PM: 5K Fitness Hike…..Meet at Windmill near Dairy Barn
- 2:00 PM: Exhibitors and activities end
- 4:30 PM: Day of registration and packet pick up for Earth Shaker Twilight 5K
- 5:30 PM: Earth Shaker Twilight 5K
- 9:00 PM: Earth Shaker post celebration ends
Non-profit, government and environmentally oriented businesses are invited to participate as exhibitors, and are asked to provide hands-on activities for visitors.
For fore information contact Mina McLean, (803) 547-1010.
Anne Springs Close Greenway Dairy Barn, 288 Dairy Barn Lane, Fort Mill, SC 29715
This event has already occured.
Open to the public