Education has taken on a new light and many different paths for everyone this school year.
The Greenway understands that when it comes to educating your student, the most important things are flexibility, adaptability and safety!
The Outdoor Academy offers you choices to find the right program to meet the academic and recreational needs of your student!
Click the tabs below to learn what each program offers.
The Outdoor Academy offers programming for all ages. From the Greenway Preschool to our Outdoor Learning Electives, we provide a number of ways for students to engage with nature through both education and recreation. A number of our academic programs meet South Carolina School Curriculum Standards (where applicable) and provide a well-rounded supplement to your student's education.
For more information about any of our Outdoor Academy programs:
- Greenway Preschool: Preschool@ascgreenway.org | 803.547.1078
- Outdoor Experiential Learning: SaraLee@ascgreenway.org | 803.547.1086
- Outdoor Explorers Club: email@example.com | 803.547.1015
What is the Greenway Preschool?
The Anne Springs Close Greenway Nature-Based Preschool fulfills the mission to connect people with nature in various ways by developing a sense of wonder and appreciation for nature in our youngest community members. Our half-day preschool program prepares your preschooler for kindergarten while having a positive impact on your child's emotional, mental, physical and social development.
Questions? Please contact Greenway Preschool at Preschool@ascgreenway.org or 803.547.1078.
What is Outdoor Explorers Club?
Need an afternoon to get caught up on work or chores? Worried about your child sitting in front of a screen or cooped up all day? Outdoor Explorers Club offers your child an afternoon of outdoor adventure and exploration on the Greenway! Children will be able to spend two afternoons a week outside, trying out new activities, exploring the Greenway, making friends and learning new skills.
Outdoor Explorers Club is designed to supplement all learning styles occurring this year and will focus on meeting the social, emotional and physical well-being of your child. Children will attend two days a week, either Monday/Wednesday or Tuesday/Thursday. Signups are on a week-by-week basis for your convenience.
$70/week nonmembers, 10% discount for Greenway members. $30 deposit due upon registration for each week enrolled.
- Program generally takes place at the Lake Haigler entrance, but other entrances may be used during specific weeks.
- Grades K - 5th
- Drop off between 3p-3:15p, pick up between 5:45p-6p
- Reservations required in advance. Signups on a week-by-week basis.
- Minimum of two days a week (M/W or Tu/Th) but option to do all four.
- Children will be in groups of 14 with two Outdoor Program Staff.
Where possible we will group children by age.
- No technology – please leave cell phones at home!
What activities might your child participate in?
Outdoor Explorers Club intends to have your child outside all afternoon so they should come dressed for the weather in clothes and shoes that work for all weather and terrain. Parents should expect children to come home muddy! Our main goal is to have fun, be active and introduce your child to all the outdoors has to offer. While the club is child-led and freeform as much as possible, there will be a focus activity each week in which children are guaranteed to participate one day each week. The activities may happen in other weeks as well but it is guaranteed to occur during the weeks listed below.
- Week 1 – (8/30-9/3) Kayaking
- Week 2 – (9/6-9/10) Archery
- Week 3 – (9/13-9/17) Fishing
- Week 4 – (9/20-9/24) Fall Gardening
- Week 5 – (9/27-10/1) Historical Adventures
- Week 6 – (10/4-10/7) Outdoor Crafts and Skills
- Week 7 – (10/11-10/14) Scavenger Hunt/Orienteering
- Week 8 – (10/18-10/21) Campfire Cooking
- Week 9 – (10/25-10/28) Nocturnal Animals
- Week 10 – (11/1-11/4) Archery
- Week 11 – (11/8-11/11) Yoga and Outdoor Fitness
- Week 12 – (11/15-11/18) Grateful for Adventure
- Week 13 – (11/29-12/2) Wild Birds
- Week 14 – (12/6-12/9) Campfire Cooking
- Week 15 – (12/15-12/18) Reptiles and Amphibians
Is your preferred week full? Sign up for the waitlist! By signing up for the waitlist, we know what the interest level is and can look at opening more groups!
How are we staying safe?
We understand that your child’s health and safety are crucial during these uncertain times. We will follow our Summer Camp COVID plan that follows CDC guidelines and includes:
- Children will be outside all afternoon, only going inside for poor weather or to use the restrooms.
- Increased sanitization of supplies, increased handwashing/sanitizing.
- Small groups and staff will wear masks at check in/out to limit exposure during times when staff and children are interacting with parents and other children who may not be in their exact group. Please note we do not require masks when children/staff are in their small groups.
Cancellation and Refund Policy:
Cancellations made more than a week in advance of the start of the registered week of Outdoor Explorers Club will receive a full refund. Cancellations made less than a week in advance will not have their deposit/registration fee refunded. The balance will be refunded.
Questions? Please contact Natalie Senglaub or 803.547.1015.
What is Outdoor Experiential Learning?
Outdoor Experiential Learning (OEL) is unique, customizable outdoor programming tailored to meet a variety of education and recreation needs. Recreation components such as hiking, kayaking and mountain biking are paired with educational elements such as history, water ecology and prairie ecology to create a well-rounded program. We can make programs as physical/passive or educational/recreational as you need. Complete the OEL Interest Form and we will help you create the perfect program for your student(s).
Who is OEL designed for and how does it work?
OEL is for virtual students looking to supplement online learning, homeschool families and co-ops, schools looking for field trip or outreach opportunities, anyone looking to participate in outdoor, hands-on learning.
Complete the interest form and we will contact you to discuss your specific needs. At least one parent/chaperone required to stay with group at no charge. Additional pricing available parent participants.
What are the advantages of OEL?
- Highly interactive and customizable programs
- Can be adapted for any age range
- Work within a variety of budgets
- Meet SC School Curriculum Standards (where applicable)
- Led by trained Outdoor Program staff
- Schedule a one time program or a series to build knowledge over the semester
How much does it cost?
Pricing is based on specific programming. Series pricing and larger group/per child pricing available.
What are we doing to keep your students safe?
- All programs are private so only those you invite to join the program will be there.
- All students and staff (including our Outdoor Program Staff) will be health screened and temperature checked prior to the start of the program. Anyone exceeding the CDC recommended temperature max of 100.4F will not be able to participate.
- All students and staff will be offered hand sanitizer as they arrive and at regular intervals throughout the program and then again when they leave.
- Our staff will wear masks for any close contact activities and will only remove masks if they are 10ft away from students or performing a high-activity program (kayaking, mountain biking, etc.).
- All programs are conducted outdoors in the fresh air and students are rarely in enclosed spaces.
Questions? Please contact Sara Lee or 803.547.1086.