Historic Cabins

Located in the Dairy Barn entrance our cabins provide easy access to the Comporium Amphitheather, swinging bridges, trails and more. With beatiful views, our circa-1800 log cabins are perfect for intimate wedding ceremonies and celebrations. 

For more information or to book an appointment please email us or call 803-547-1009.

Faires/Coltharp Cabin 

The Faires/Coltharp cabin was originally located about 3 miles from this site, off Route 160, across from the entrance to Gold Hill Schools.  It was moved here in 1994. As far as appearance, the ceiling beams have been carefully smoothed, with a decorative beading along each edge.  The logs used for the sides were cut by hand. None of these furnishings are original to the house.  The furniture, however, represents the type that would have been used in the middle-to-late nineteenth century:  rope beds with mattresses of hay or corn shucks, hand-made cupboards dyed with pokeberry (red/purple) and kerosene lamps. The “chinking” seen between the logs was originally mud, which helped weather-proof the house and to keep out the wind.  As you can see, the mud chinking was replaced with concrete when the building was moved to this site. The log cabin has since been used as the site of Faires family reunions.

There is a rich history in this cabin that once held the son of a Revolutionary War solder and prisoner of war, a Civil War soldier, and several local and influential families.  Over the span of 80 years and 2 generations of the Faires and Coltharp families, about 21 people lived in this house, possibly with as many as 12 at one time.  Imagine how cramped the living situation would have been in the four rooms that were originally in this cabin!  

Graham Cabin

The Graham Cabin has seen much aesthetic change. While the house was originally a log cabin, it has also been weatherboarded over and was also painted white on the outside. It is more than one story high, with a moderately sized attic area. There are small windows at either end giving a bit of ventilation to the low second story. The downstairs interior walls had been sealed over with wide boards, but have since been restored to the original walls. The hand-hewn ceiling joists are also visible. The cabin is currently in a partially restored state which shows the history of the cabin and the extent to which it was lived in. The logs of this home have been verified by the American Chestnut Foundation as American chestnut trees, a variety of tree which has since been driven nearly to extinction because of a type of fungus which caused a blight. In addition, the size of the logs used in the cabin indicates that the constructors of the house had children reaching adulthood, who could help carry and position the large logs. 

This log house was originally located about 2 miles from this spot, behind the Philadelphia Methodist Church on Route 160, in the area now called Baxter. It was moved to the Greenway in 1999, and was occupied continuously until it was moved.  Although it is impossible to know the exact age of the cabin, we know that Archibald and Elizabeth Graham lived in this cabin in the early 1800s, so this cabin must be at least 200 years old!